Introduction: A Good Idea Corrupted
It is always sad when unbounded enthusiasm of volunteers of a volunteer organization gets ground into withdrawal and resentment by pompous, self anointed "leaders". Leaders who are:
- mostly kindly described as incompetent and clueless
- some older ones may seem to "be losing it,
- gain their position through wily, slick, less than honest talk and positioning
- if deceit doesn't work, then resorting to simple bullying and intimidation works wonders in eliminating volunteer contributions, and
- have a small number of close sycophant and parasites to do the dirty work
While we see these behaviors everyday in "politics", it is most disappointing when it occurs in volunteer organizations that are attempting to do projects for their community.
This series of commentaries explore the learnings and insights we can gain from the situation that is happening in the meltdown and failure of the
a Clackamas County Complete Communities which was intended to allow the County Commissions to have a way to gain more reliable input from a remote community.
A concept that was intended to build community volunteerism by pulling together the community on projects that could
benefit from support by the County, got hijacked by deceit, bullying, snake oil, and self serving egotism of
self-anointed "leaders". "Leaders" who where aided and abetted by a bureaucratic, junior,
relatively inexperienced County employee assigned to be the liaison.
The particulars are very illuminating.
Of course, all names have been changed to protect the innocent and, to emphasize issues, many of the details have been rudely highlighted.
They weren't totally evil,
nor were they particularly virtuous,
but their incompetence, deceit, snake oil, and intimidation
made them the Villages of the Darned